NHS 50
Your NHS
Health Help
an a to z of the nhs
A & E Services
Ambulance Services
Blood donors
Children in Hospital
Clinical trials
Community Health
G.U.M. Clinics
General Practitioners
Health Care Abroad
Health Information Serv.
R & D
Self Help Groups
Waiting for treatment


'When To Use The A & E Services'

Unless there is a road accident or similar emergency, you should try contacting your GP first. If your GP cannot visit quickly or if the accident is serious go to the nearest Accident and Emergency Department. Remember that not all hospitals have them: in an emergency you can dial 999 and ask which A & E Department you should take someone to.

Accident and Emergency Departments see thousands of patients every year who should really have gone to their GP. A & E doctors can turn away people if they do not feel they need treatment (for example if it is some time since the accident occurred or if you went along with a long term problem). If in doubt you could telephone the Accident and Emergency department and ask for advice.

top next

Copyright © 1998, NHS