NHS 50
Your NHS
Health Help
an a to z of the nhs
A & E Services
Ambulance Services
Blood donors
Children in Hospital
Clinical trials
Community Health
G.U.M. Clinics
General Practitioners
Health Care Abroad
Health Information Serv.
R & D
Self Help Groups
Waiting for treatment


'What To Do If You Need To See A GP When You Are Away From Home'

If you are going to be in the area for less than 3 months (while on holiday or temporary business for example) you can ask a GP to accept you as a temporary resident. You remain on the list of your own GP but can be treated by the temporary GP should need arise. You will not be issued with a medical card and your medical records will not be transferred to your temporary doctor.

If you cannot find a GP willing to accept you contact your Health Authority/Board. They will probably give you a list of GPs to try and ask you to contact at least three yourself. If you still cannot get accepted the Health Authority/Board will allocate you to a GP. The GP is obliged to accept you - at least on a temporary basis.

previous top next

Copyright © 1998, NHS