The 50th Anniversary of the NHS is an opportunity for the country as a whole to reflect on the contribution made by the health service since 1948 :and for the service itself to promote better health and involve people more in the way it plans for the next 50 years.
Overall, it is an opportunity to re-affirm the founding principles of the NHS, and to further the core aims of our National Health Service.
With these guiding principles in mind, the NHS 50 National Steering Group has co-ordinated a national programme of events during 1998.
Projects have been established around three main objectives:
To promote better health
- The Ideal Health Show, Olympia, 3-6 July
- Local Partnership Awards
- NHS 50 website with health information
To spread good practice in health and healthcare
- NHS 50 Lecture Series
- An international conference, 'All Our Tomorrows', Earls Court, 1-3 July
- An anniversary fellowship programme
- NHS 50 debates: for example, exploring the next 50 years of mental health and women in the NHS
To improve public understanding of the NHS
- Education resource pack, 'Your NHS: A Force for Health'
- A national photographic project, 'The NHS Now Towards The Future'
- Local events for example during Science Week and on NHS Day